Launched in 2014, InvestX a leading fintech company and pioneer in the pre-IPO asset class, provides the $30 trillion dollar wealth management industry with the ability to access, invest and trade in late-stage private companies. Portfolio companies include Palantir, Airbnb, SoFi, Spotify, DocuSign, SpaceX and many others. InvestX empowers its broker dealer clients with a technology platform, InvestX GEM, a secondary marketplace that simplifies the complexities of transacting in the private markets.
InvestX is backed by leading institutional investors including Jefferies, Virtu Financial and Canaccord Genuity. The company has been featured in CNBC, Forbes, Bloomberg, U.S. News, Business Insider, Reuters, The Globe and Mail, and many other publications. This year, InvestX has been a finalist for Wealthamnagement.com Awards, Benzinga Global fintech Awards, TradingTech Insight Awards USA, Technical Analyst Awards 2021 and BC Tech Awards.
About the Role
The CIO will oversee all aspects of the company’s investment portfolios and play an integral role in helping shape the growth and future of the business. In this role you will help build and oversee the investment team and our various securities offerings including dedicated multiyear funds, single investment SPV’s, convertible debt and other private placements. The role will also involve understanding, managing and monitor the organization’s assets, devise strategies for growth and recognize and avoid any serious unsystematic and systemic risks. The company currently invests $20-50M (and growing) in each investee company.
Location: New York, Vancouver, San Francisco
- Oversee and be responsible for the dedicated investment function of the company
- Manage a team of Investment Managers, analysts and external providers
- Recruit and select A players to join the investment team initially increasing the team from 4-8 in the next six months
- Partner with the investment operations, share sourcing, marketing and sales teams to support the growth of the company’s AUM, operational efficiency, compliance and financial reporting
- Monitor the performance of the various portfolios
- Ensure that all investment activities adhere to financial industry regulations, conducting audits to prevent fraud and avoid risks, recommend process improvements
- Business development with the objective to build a strong pipeline of potential investment opportunities in late-stage private companies
- Provide leadership, source and execute investment opportunities, lead due diligence, direct transaction team and coordinate transaction execution and closing in partnership with other functional teams
- Oversee creation, then present investment proposals to the Investment Committee
- Assess and interpret complex financial information, making recommendations based on your experience, risk assessment; ensure execution
- Critically review financial briefings (often written by investment analysts) and make improvement suggestions for accessibility, marketing, and assessment purposes
- Make informed financial recommendations and decisions keeping knowledge up-to-date about the local and global economy, current financial news
- Monitor the performance of the Investment Fund, analyze, report and make adjustment recommendations
- A Master of Business Administration or Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) designation or similar qualification is required
- Minimum of fifteen years increasingly responsible experience in the financial service industry with direct experience in fund or portfolio management and overseeing investments
- Minimum of 5 years in private equity, private shares or equivalent
- Direct experience with portfolio allocation, manager performance evaluation, risk management, and managing custodial relationships and experience working with investment consultants and advisors.
- Possesses a top quarterly investment performance track record
- Experience managing a portfolio of at least $1B+ USD
- Solid understanding of Emerging Markets and economic indicators
- Proficiency using financial software for economic and financial indicators, securities pricing and other research and analytical functions
- Eligibility to travel between the United States and Canada is required
- A Criminal Record Check, FINRA and Credit Check is required for this position
- You are self-confident
- Goal oriented
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work effectively under pressure
- Good analysis and technology skills relating to the function
- Deep understanding of private equity, investment, and financial trends
- Strong time management skills
- A passion for teamwork
- Excellent verbal and written skills
If this opportunity sounds like it is a good match with your skills, background, and career direction, please apply through our Careers Page with your cover letter and resume.